This year for my last mid-week blog of each month I’m sharing updates on our 2018 Reading Challenge.
If you’re just tuning in and don’t know about the challenge, you can find out more right here. You can also join my Read Along With Emilie Richards Facebook Group, where we talk about books we’re reading and when applicable, how they fit. You’ll get lots of great ideas for “what can we read?” and there’s still plenty of time. This challenge will zip by quickly.
Note, too, that you can get a printable PDF of the list (titled Book Blowout 2018) and fill it out as you go along. I’ve already filled in six categories.
What can we read for different categories? Don’t be surprised if you find that the books you’re reading “just because” often fit into the list somewhere.
This week I asked some of the Read Along Facebook group to help me suggest books you might want to read for the first two categories:
- A book set on the water
- A novel that features a character with a disability
The first category created an interesting discussion. Did we mean the story actually had to be on the water–as in a boat? Or had we meant a book set in a house on or near the water?
The best answer? This challenge is for you. Nobody’s checking selections. So interpretation is up to each of us. That said, when this category was chosen, lake houses, beach side communities, and anything similar was meant to be a go. So either on the water, beside the water, a bit back from the water? It all works. Choose and enjoy.
Still wondering what you can read? Here are suggestions from the Read Along Group. Consult your library and if you prefer to buy? Please consider buying from your local bookstore, as well as online stores. Challenges don’t interest you? Get some reading suggestions below, just for your own pleasure.
Thanks to: Nita, Renee, Kathryn, Janet, Joni, Kim, Kathryn, Kay Tee and moi for these suggestions.
A Book Set On The Water:
- The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware.
- The Beach House by Mary Alice Monroe
- The Prayer Box by Lisa Wingate (which begins the Carolina Heirloom books set in the Outer Banks.
- The Moses Lake books, which take place in Texas, another possibility, also by Lisa Wingate.
- Ten Beach Road a series by Wendy Wax. (Trivia, trivia… Wendy and I graduated from the same high school, but not at the same time.)
- The Blackberry Island series by Susan Mallery.
- A Bridge Across the Ocean by Susan Meissmer,
- Beach Rental by Grace Greene,
- Becalmed by Normandie Fisher
- The Tears of Dark Water by Corban Addison
- The Denim Blue Sea and other books by Joanne Demaio.
- The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman (Australia after WWII)
- Keeper of the Light and the two books that follow by Diane Chamberlain.
- Happiness Key, a three book series by Emilie Richards
- Every Fifteen Minutes by Lisa Scottoline
- Me Before You by JoJo Moyes
- The Perfect Son by Barbara Claypole White
- The Promise Between Us by Barbara Claypole White
- Phantom Waltz, Blue Skies and My Sunshine by Catherine Anderson
- The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah
- The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
- The Lightkeepers Daughters by Jean E. Pendziwol (which could serve for both categories)
- Many novels by Jodi Picoult
And there you have it. Some books to get you started. What can we read? So many choices.
Tell us what you’re reading, and let us know how you’re doing on the challenge so far. Comment below and keep reading, challenge or not.